Archive for November, 2010
If you’re the type of person who loves watching movies via the DVD or in movie houses and can’t go on living without your Pocket PC, it’s time to combine both ideals in one specification. In this article, you will learn how to watch a digital versatile disc movie by just using your Pocket PC. Interesting? Get ready to work.
Step # 1
Click the button which states “open” directly. This will be found on the right side. Load the video or the DVD file that you wanted to convert and then begin the process.
Step # 2
Within the “open” menu, click on the “set output file or location”.
Step # 3
Looking for the “options” menu, you can set the starting and stop point of the video file or the DVD movie that you are loading using the range bar for conversion. This can also made possible by clicking the “set start and stop times”.
Step # 4
Wait for the output settings to be completed. The key step is this, because the particular options are very crucial and essential for you will know if you your encoded video will compatibly work if put on an iPod.
Step # 5
To finally finish the “output setting”, click the “more options”. You can also click on the “options” that’ll be found at the top to be able to customize the “output settings” or what is also known as “DVD settings”. With this, you can record you video file or DVD movie later.
Step # 6
It’s time to convert the input video file or DVD movie. First, click on the “record it” button to be able to start the process of converting your file. If you have to stop or pause the recording process because something just came up, just press the “stop or pause” button. To be able to convert video files in batches, go to the “open” field and click on the “batch convert video files” menu.
Step # 7
After all the conversions, add your converted file by choosing the “add file to library” that can be found in the iTunes menu. Then whenever you like to view the file, just select the output file to the PPC’s playlist.
That’s it. You’re done. Now you can enjoy your favorite videos at the palm of your hands. Although, there are some warnings and tips that you have to take note of when watching DVD movies through your Pocket PC, here are some:
1. Are you aware of the fps? It’s also known as the frame rate which means that this is the number of images or frames that is displayed or projected every second a video is played.
2. Aware you aware of bitrate? Bitrate is the number of bits that is taken per second devotedly stored in the final product. When the bitrate becomes high, the audio resolution becomes greater for the final product or outcome. For MPEG-4, a bitrate below 2500 is required while in H.264, a bitrate of below 760 is needed.
Just for the sake of safety, the software PQ DVD recommended using a lower-than-maximum number. If you’re the type whose choosy with his video quality, you’ll have to test some clips first to be able to determine what works and looks better.
3. Choosing the Codec of video, just select MPEG-4 that goes for a larger file size and for fast conversion or H.264 made for half the size and entails slower conversion for the quality that you like.
The pocket pc has revolutionized the way people use the personal computer. For one, personal computers are heavy and you can’t carry it with you wherever you go. On the other hand, the smaller version which is the laptop is much more convenient because you can carry it with you. However, if you will be given a chance to carry a tiny computer like the pocket pc, which will you choose -a personal computer, a laptop, or a pocket pc?
Most people will definitely choose the pocket pc. As the name suggests, it is a personal computer that can fit right inside your pockets. Advanced technology is creating wondrous things and one is the pocket pc. The personal computer has gone a long way ever since it was first introduced in the market.
Pocket PCs offer features that you can usually find in ordinary personal computers. You can access the internet and browse for as long as you like. Now, no matter where you are, you can already check your emails. The mobile device also allows the user to save suitable applications that can be used at work or at home.
Those who want to enjoy, relax, and unwind can play with the games installed in the pocket pc. You can even download additional games if you like. Most pocket PCs are Wi-Fi or Bluetooth compatible. The latest technologies in the communication industry can now be enjoyed through the pocket pc.
The flash player is also now available for pocket pc users. The Ant Mobile Software offers FlashAssist that is designed for pocket PCs. You can download this software after paying for it and its current price in the market is only $14.95. Should you use the flash player or not? The decision is entirely yours. For those who browse the net frequently, they may find the flash player very useful.
However, some pocket pc users who have no use for it can just download other more important software. Besides, if you can’t afford it, then there’s no way for you to get it in the first place. Try to search the internet for cheaper deals on the FlashAssist. The price is almost the same in online stores and so if you think you will need the software, purchase it next time you have the right amount of budget.
Through the flash player, you can view the flash contents on your new pocket pc. Aside from that, it would be possible to open .swf files without the scroll bars. Flash contents are now possible to view in 3 different windows.
Do you think you will need the flash player for your pocket pc? Only can you can answer that question. If there is a great need for the flash player, install it in your pocket pc. But if you’re just going to save it to show other users that you have the technology but you’re not using it, then it’s a waste of money; besides, it would just consume a lot of memory space which you can still use for other more important software applications.
Pocket PCs are great and are suitable to various individuals. College students, career people, and businesspersons will benefit a lot from having the pocket pc. This is a good investment that you can benefit from because of its amazing features and capabilities.
The Pocket PC has become very convenient for the sake of business and individual means. Therefore, it is only right to give way to the top freeware programs that are very functional which, the people can take advantage of.
1. Microsoft Reader
Considered as one of the most versatile eBook reader, Microsoft Reader is preferred by many who wanted more out of the usual eBook styles. This freeware program version of the Pocket PC version 2.4.1 is rightfully compatible with: Windows Mobile 5.0, Windows Mobile 2003, and Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Although this is not made compatible with Smartphone devices that are Windows-mobile based.
Note: If you have Microsoft Reader’s old version installed in your device, you have to uninstall it then install the newer version. This program is basically offered in five separate languages wherein all maintained the same requirements although, download sizes differ. Always ensure that the program is working properly prior to the device.
2. Engineering Calculator – Calc98
Calc98 is a modern scientific calculator that has extensive engineering or scientific financial functions and statistics. Furthermore, Calc98 has a comprehension range of properties, physical constants, and unit conversions. Over millions have already downloaded the Calc98 which can run for a period of 90 days that’ll serve as your free trial, after that, you would have to register and buy the product. Calc98 is becoming quite popular in the field of financial services and education, even healthcare.
PocketMusic is an MP3 Player that beats the way on how Windows Media Player play its music. If you love music, this has got to be included in your device. Another reason why this is becoming popular is because it’s totally free. It’s compatibility ranges from Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.0, and 6.1, and Pocket PC 2003 and its Second Edition. It features multilingual interface namely French, German, Spanish and English.
PocketMusic Player features a lot of favorites like: a) Winamp skins support that has over 9500 skins which are readily available in the Internet, b) Interface that can be customized, c) Quality spectrum analyzer, d) 10-band quality equalizer, e) Numerous sound presets for the equalizer, f) Outstanding Playlist editor.
4. VBirthday 2.0
VBirthday is a very simple application that is meant for those frail-minded who keeps on forgetting important things like birthdays but, that’s not all. It is a reminder of every single occasion that you have to attend or remember. It keeps you up-to-date and on-track for everyday. VBirthday initiates the scanning of every contacts that you have and sorts out important reminders by age, name or event. VBirthday has features that are highly optimized when it is accessed via database. It is also easy to use and has highly selectable items for special events.
5. Pocket Translator
This is a freeware that’s easy to use, and can translate words in a jiffy. It has the capacity to support nine various languages. System requirements include SH3, ARM processor, MIPS and Pocket PC. Languages are detailed as Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Italian, Dutch, French, German, Spanish and English.
Entertainment not enough for your viewing and listening pleasures? PocketTV fits your craving to take advantage of all features that Windows Mobile 6.1, 6 and 5 devices all in one freeware. PocketTV is a VCD and MPEG Player. This is one of the most popular freeware made for Pocket PC.
Haven’t got a Pocket PC yet? But do you have intentions in getting one? Then read. This article is designed to give you exact tips on how to buy your very first PPC. It’s not that hard.
Tip # 1 – Smart Decision
First, decide why in the world would you want a PDA? If it’s just for fun, that’ll be fine. Before anything else, you have to realize your reasons why you wanted to own a PDA because if not, then you won’t enjoy it once the package has arrived. Your decisions must require smart thinking. If you think a PPC can help you throughout your daily routine or in business, it’s worth owning.
Tip # 2 – Educate Yourself
It is of major importance to know the different things about the device that you wanted to buy. You can’t just purchase it because it’s cool and looks fancy. You’re better than that. Read articles about the different capabilities of the operating systems. This will help you better understand the importance of your PDA. Furthermore, educate yourself with things about PPC. Remember, an informed consumer is a smart consumer.
Tip # 3 – Communicate With Others
Communication is important to better understand and appreciate things. Ask questions using the company’s forum page in order to be informed of the different aspects about your choice product. You can make an intelligent conversation with PDA manufacturers and ask about the goodness of their product and how it can contribute to your living. You can also ask other PPC users on how the device is working. You are still educating yourself with these tasks.
Tip # 4 – Visit Websites
Usually, websites have all the answers. If you’re not sure about how PPCs are bugging you, visit review websites and categories of their top pick. This will give you a better chance of identifying the different kinds of hardware that’s available in the market today. Reviews can also give you ideas on how a particular device is doing in the industry. Websites like these can also give you information on the things that you ought to do and not to do.
Tip # 5 – Go Out Shopping
Nothing beats walking around town looking for a PPC. Go inside PPC shops and ask the attendant to assist you on the ideal device. If this doesn’t satisfy you, you can ask the attendant to let you play with at least three to four models to be able to give you the feeling on how it is to hold one apart the other. Holding the models and working them will also give you ideas on the differences of one another.
Tip # 6 – Before a Purchase
Once you have found the right item for your purchase, don’t buy it just yet. Roam around and look for similar models first. This will save you from a couple of bucks if in case you have found something similar and cheaper than the first one. Compare prices intelligently. Be sure that the unit doesn’t have any packaging marks or bruises.
Tip # 7 – Enjoy
Now that you have your very first Pocket PC, turn it on and let the browsing begin. It doesn’t end there though, with your PDA, you can do numerous things aside from the usual activities.
When you have a new device or gadget, you will often feel excited to use it. It’s just like when you were a child and your parents gave you a new toy. You feel overjoyed and you’re excited to play with it as soon as you’re home. In the case of Pocket PCs, the excitement is always there but some of the new owners of the mobile device are a bit disappointed when they encounter speed and stability issues.
If you don’t want to experience any problems in using your Pocket PC, make sure that you use a guide to maintain your device’s slickness. Just like in the case of registry tweaks or system, you have to backup some of your important files because you can never tell when something goes wrong. Use this guide so that you can use your new Pocket PC with ease:
• Disable the menu animation (Windows)
If you want to keep your Pocket PC zippy, try switching off the eye candies such as the animation. You can modify through a good registry editor. Change the ‘AniType’ value from 6 to 0. By doing so, menu animation is disabled. Some owners of Pocket PC may find this task a bit daunting and if you feel the same way, you can just use the RegKing freeware. This freeware will allow you to toggle the task easily and it also offers some tweaks.
• Increase the display cache
By increasing the glyph value, you can speed up the Pocket PC display. Remember that this step will consume a lot of system memory. You have to change the ‘limit’ value from the default 8192 to 16384 or 32768. By launching the registry editor, you can browse in order to find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMMGDIGLYPHCACHE. Again, meddling with the registry may be unnerving to some and so you can just use the RegKing instead.
• Don’t minimize, close it.
By tapping on the ‘x’ (close button), the current program is simply minimized. If you frequently do this, the programs you’ve used earlier will continue running which takes up huge valuable memory. You can take advantage of task managers, particularly the freeware, so that you can manage the resources of your device much better.
• Remove the unused programs
The system performance gives importance to the processor speed and so there should be sufficient available memory. Pocket PCs function better if there is more available memory. If you still have programs installed that are not being used, uninstall them as soon as possible. You can do this by going to the Start/Settings/System/Remove Programs and then uninstall them.
• Keep your big files in storage cards
Don’t keep the big files in the main memory; instead, you can move them to storage cards. This task is simply because you just need to cut the files and then paste them to the storage cards. Move the data files only and not the executables because your programs might be broken.
• To free memory, install large programs into an external storage.
Again, whenever possible, large programs should be installed in memory cards or even in non-volatile memory so that the main memory is free to run programs.
You can follow these guides so that you can use your Pocket PC with ease. New owners of Pocket PCs will enjoy using their mobile devices more with the use of the guides.
There will be times that you have to connect to your personal computer to update or download and upload files. Occasionally, your notebook or desktop computer will serve as the power source to be able to charge your battery in your Pocket PC. Connection to your personal computer is also crucial for the synchronization of changes or update that you have made via your Pocket PC.
In this activity, you’ll just need your Pocket PC, your personal computer and a specialized cable wire that is included when you bought your Pocket PC. Oh yes, and a whole lot of patience because a task like this sometimes need sufficient self-esteem.
Before plugging anything into the cradles or ports, be sure that you have the appropriate tools first. You have to be familiar with the user guide or the manual for your Pocket PC. This in this way, you’ll become more acquainted with the important matters regarding your Pocket PC connections and specifications.
Organize the different accessories and parts which include the USB cradle and connector cable, AC adapter, and finally, the software installation CD. You need all of these just in case something comes up.
Place the software installation CD in you personal computer’s CD-ROM drive. This is the first step to be able to connect your Pocket PC in your computer. Follow these instructions clearly so that you won’t encounter any kind of problem while doing your processing.
Upon entering the CD, locate the link wherein it will show you how to install the Pocket PC software in your desktop. To help you through the entire process, an installation wizard will pop up. In some cases, you may have to restart your computer to be able to complete installation. This usually happens when your desktop computer differs from its operating system.
Plug your USB cradle into your USB port to be able to connect your Pocket PC in your computer. Next, plug the compatible end of the AC adapter in the slot of the USB cradle and one correct end of into the electrical outlet found in the wall.
Once you have done this, place your Pocket PC in the USB cradle. You can now start charging your Pocket PC’s main battery or either synchronizes it into your personal computer. Aside from charging, you can start uploading and downloading files to or fro.
Other Pocket PCs came in with Bluetooth. Connecting to a Bluetooth-enable computer is possible if your Pocket PC is capable for Bluetooth.
Once you have set up a connection between your personal computer and Pocket PC, you can have the opportunity to perform various commands and process through and infrared sensor. This only applies if both your personal computer and Pocket PC is enabled with infrared. Always read your user’s guide to become more familiar with the environment of connecting and synchronizing.
If you’re having problems with opening the installation wizard, click “start”. Select the “run” and then click on the “browse” button to be able to locate the CD-ROM drive. Choose the exe. file to start the software installation process.
Pins are considered as very fragile and sensitive. Therefore, it is a must that the contracts are properly aligned before securing your Pocket PC by pushing it down to the USB cradle.
Pocket PCs have caught the attention of a lot of people. Despite its slightly high price, many businesspersons have already purchased the mobile device. The device is sleek and lightweight and so many businesspersons find it easy to carry anywhere they go. Regardless of what business undertaking you’re in, you will surely benefit from the Pocket PCs because you can use helpful tools or applications installed in it. Aside from the applications that you can use at work, you can also download games software so that you can have fun anywhere you go whenever you get bored and pressured. You can find a lot of software for the Pocket PC on the net.
Here is a list of some of the most popular software you can find online for Pocket PCs:
1. FlashAssist by Ant Mobile. Visit their official site and you can get the product in order to view the Micromedia Flash on the Pocket PC. The Flash Player will allow you to directly open your SWF files without using scroll bars. The software can cost you $15.
2. Odigo Messenger by Ruksun Software. This software will allow you to send instant messages and you can even connect with other IM networks like MSN Messenger, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, and the AOL. The software can be obtained at $25.
3. ASV by Olive Tree is a pocket bible exclusively designed for the 351e015 Pocket PC. The software supports personal highlighting, bookmarks, hyper-linking, eBook, etc.
4. Mobile Administrator by River Solutions allows you to control computers anywhere through the use of Pocket PC that is connected to the internet. Tasks like rebooting start/stop services monitoring, and free memory can be completed on the Pocket PC. This software is available online for free.
5. Cresotech Convert – this software is available in trial versions and after paying the registration fee of $15, you can already completely download it from their official website. This application is mainly used for conversion of units of measuring system.
These are the five most popular software that you can get for your Pocket PC; as you can see, only one is available for free download while the rest can be obtained for a certain fee. Even the paid software are worthy investments because you can use them at work or when you’re traveling to other places.
Aside from the software applications, you can also download games so that you can have fun anywhere you go. All work and no play can make you dull and so try to have some fun through the Pocket PC games. There are old game versions that you can download and even the latest games. You just need to visit the freeware websites and find the games you like. After that, you can download the games and save it to your Pocket PC or in a memory card.
You have to choose the software that you can use everyday. You should consider you current job or career before you purchase the software. That way, you can be sure that you will be using it frequently. You see, it is not advisable to save programs or software in your Pocket PC which is unused since it takes up memory space. Uninstall the unused programs or software and install only the ones you’re using. The same goes with the games.
Pocket PCs are small devices but is very powerful that it holds almost all of your activities, personal information, and business matters inside its bin. For executives and aficionados, Pocket PCs are already part of their lives. They can’t leave the house without their most priced Pocket PCs. Connecting to the web or checking an email are just one of the many wonders of Pocket PCs. With all these, have you ever considered the security of your Pocket PC?
Convenience equates to risk. Admit it. A Pocket PC is one very convenient way of connecting to the world without just a click of a button. It offers more possibilities attached with convenience. Although, these added conveniences puts an owner at risk. In addition to security problems and threats that you have to face regarding your desktop computer, you can have the same problem with your wireless device through networking.
The smaller the size of your device, the easier it is for your Pocket PC to become more vulnerable to the naked eye – stealing it or file corruption. You have to protect your device in three security levels namely: network, data and physical.
Network security refers to the assurance that the device will not fall into the wrong hands and other people won’t be able to use it to tap into your network. To avoid such internal problems, you have to take some steps in protecting your entire network by considering some of the factors below.
• Disabling WiFi and Bluetooth connection when not in use. This is helpful in saving your device from unwanted outside connections, increasing the life of the battery and stabilizes further security.
• Use notification and monitoring programs to track and detect hidden activities done in your Pocket PC.
• Administrators must establish a governed policy for the handheld device that will connect to the network.
• Always update your LAN driver in order to use the WPA or WiFi Protected Access instead of using WEP.
• Use private networking virtually to be able to connect to your company network.
Data security refers to the assurance of the device to be safe in case it falls to the wrong, prying hands. Even if the OS is accessed, you’ll have the feeling that your business and personal data will not be accessed. Managing this can be easy by doing the following:
• Store your sensitive data on your memory card then remove it when not in use. Make sure that the memory card itself doesn’t get lost.
• Don’t allow any access to applications that might be used to read important data. Use a software like PDA Defense.
• Always see to it that sensitive data are encrypted wherever it is stored.
Physical security refers to the protection of the device from theft or loss and prevents OS accessibility in cases of the device falling into other people’s hands. This is also considered as your first line of defense.
• Store and carry the device securely. Never let your handheld device just hang around your pocket or kept inside a shoulder bag. It’s better to keep it very close to the body as possible or if not, put it in a briefcase that’s also secured with a pin number or attach a PDA case to your belt.
• Prevent OS accessibility. You can at least put on a password or security pin code before opening the device. Use a very strong supported password.
For once, it makes you hip and trendy. But then again, that’s not all there is. A Pocket PC has features that one can only imagine. If you’re still having second thoughts why or why not should you buy a PPC, here are some of the most basic reasons why people wanted to buy a PPC.
Some people who are too ignorant of modern devices will make fun of PDAs. Why? Most probably because they keep on thinking that devices like these are just filled with games and senseless materials. Well, in fact, no.
We’ll start this one-sided conversation by telling you what’s a PDA.
PDA is an acronym for Personal Digital Assistant that’s basically just the size of your hand. It can be brought around town and use it everywhere you could possibly go. PDAs are considered as very powerful devices, oftentimes equalling the capabilities of desktop computers. With an impressive timetable of PDAs, there is now a mass purchase of these devices which can be solely used or for the intention of many.
No matter what kind of operating system that’s used, their features are quite the same. One of the many features that a PDA offers are:
1. Address Book – this holds all your contact’s addresses, phone numbers and even their home or office addresses. It keeps you in track of all the important people in your life.
2. Keyboard on Screen – makes your clicking and typing life easier by letting you encode things right on the screen or if you don’t want such brutality made to your newly bought PPC, a stylus is readily available and is more appropriate to write with.
3. Backlight – mobile phones have it, why not PDAs? This increases your chances to see in darker places. Backlights can also be customized based on your choice of color.
4. To-do-list – are your reminders and to-dos stuck somewhere in your head that you can’t seem to remember where you have put it and ended up forgetting an important task like a rendezvous at the laundry shop? This can help you remember them.
5. Email – this is one of the most favorite parts of a PPC owner. It enables them to stay connected with the internet world without struggling to get into their office and send or read a very important electronic message.
6. Datebook – for professionals who are always on the verge of every lunch and dinner meetings, the datebook feature is one of the most important aspects of a PPC. It covers your important dates like meetings with the big boss or other companies, appointments with your team, a date with your girlfriend. This has the same format as those bulky daily planners.
7. Note Pad – just because you don’t have a pen and paper doesn’t mean that meeting’s over. With the note pad, you can jot down important details of your life, even ones that seems unimportant.
8. Character Organizer – instead of typing, you can use the stylus and write it down on the screen yourself.
9. Calculator – a device is never complete without a calculating program. Even engineers and medical practitioners are thankful for the calculator.
Aside from the basic features that were just mentioned, which also makes more reason why people buy such a fad, there are also factors of entertainment that is involved. You can play music and even watch your favorite videos. If your bored with the same old thing, you can relax yourself through your Pocket PC by playing a game or look at your pictures every once in a while.
Is it all possible? With the Pocket PC, yes it is. You just have to follow these simple rules then you’re all set to listen to your favorite tunes with your internet radio. This time, you have to push your PDA limits to the test and hopefully, the limit will produce a very impressive result.
Of course you already have your MP3 playing on your desktop that is downloaded to your PDA. Now, it’s a challenge on how to stream an internet radio right on the palm of your hands and inside the device. What you need is a software that’ll make it all possible. So here it is the tips and a quick tutorial on how to stream internet radio.
Wait, hold on. Before that, we’ll define what radio streaming means. Radio streaming means that a radio station is played via a web server. The music is streamed by companies, individuals and radio stations.
Clear? Down to business.
You would need to assemble a couple of things like: your Pocket PC, GSplayer (a freeware that you can find in the “elsewhere on the web” area where links are being routed to the developer’s homepage), and wireless internet connection.
Including Shoutcast and Ogg Vorbis playlists, GSplayer is the kind of player that is easy to manipulate and uses minimal resources but has massive options. There is just one downside in all of this…lack of documentation, the more reason why you want to reconfigure your player according to your options. The following discussion will focus more on setting up your GSplayer to choose to play Shoutcast stations.
Download the GSplayer first. The direct download will get you versions for all Windows and PPCs. While the other download lets you choose the program that’ll process your PPC. Unzip the downloaded files in your desktop. There are about two to three files in the unzipped file. Copy and paste the entire file in you Pocket PC. To make it look more organized, put it inside a personalized folder.
1. On your GSplayer, you’ll see the “Tool” button. Click it.
2. Upon clicking the “Tool”, an array of different words will be displayed. There will be effects, playlist, volume up, volume down, display off and options. Select the “Options” bar.
3. A preference page will appear and give you a list of different choices. Under “Preferences”, you can choose to mark everything or leave “add list to existing files” empty. After which click on “Resume” and “Load Previous Playlist” You can also select other areas if you like.
4. At the bottom of your screen, you’ll find “Associations”, choose it then select every option.
5. It’s time to find some favorite tunes! Upon entering the Shoutcast email address, put
a check on the “Open file after download” then click “Change”
6. From your PDA’s Internet Explorer, approach the homepage of Shoutcast. You can select top stations or better yet, find for your favorite music type. The moment you have found the station, choose the “Tune In” icon.
7. Then you can name the station that you have chosen base on your preference.
8. Once you have heard it playing, your task is done.
There you have it. Now you can start grooving and moving to your favorite station and music. You can also choose to drop and drag your files to your personal computer. In cases of Pocket PC troubles, try to check the firewall settings.